Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Open Faced Plum Sandwiches with Proscuitto -serves 4

I had the wonderful experience of teaching a cooking camp the last two weeks, two different groups, all different in the their own special way.  I had experienced cooks (at least to their standards), I had the "I'll try anything you make/put in front of me" cooks and I had the "that's an oven?" kind of cooks.  All of them, by my standards, deserved a grand toque by the time the camp was complete.  You see, I took on the challenge of teaching kids how to prepare a 4 course meal for their parents as well as, proper table setting, manners and restaurant etiquette.  We nearly lost two fingers, which I thought was a rather low number, 1 burn (shouldn't scar) and enough spills that could have led to a complete meal in itself.  My newly purchased Roomba (the robotic vacuum) was kept at bay as it picked up endless amounts of spillage from these budding chefs.  All in all, if I can get 2 dozen kids to think outside the fast food box, we might, just might, have more "at home" chefs in the kitchens of the future.  Our first course was a "not your typical kids appetizer",  as very well it should be.

Ingredients


  • /4 cup fig preserves
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/3 cup (3 ounces) soft goat cheese
  • 4 (2-ounce) slices country wheat bread, halved diagonally then toasted
  • 1 cup loosely packed arugula
  • 2 ripe plums, cut into thin wedges
  • 3 ounces very thin slices prosciutto
Preparation
  • 1. Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
  • 2. Spread 3/4 ounce cheese evenly over each bread slice; divide arugula, plum wedges, and prosciutto evenly over sandwiches. Drizzle each sandwich with about 1 tablespoon fig preserves mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment