Wednesday, August 31, 2011

On the Fly Buffalo Tacos - serves 4


These past 2 weeks have been absolutely insane!  And, it's only going to get busier.  The once and not too long ago saying I heard only a couple of weeks ago of, "Mom, I'm bored", seem like a distant memory.  We have hit the ground running and there are no water stands in sight for a quick, refreshing drink.  (Unless you count the glass of wine at 5pm but I can't "chug" like I used to.)  Women have always been known to multi-task but I never thought I could button skirts with my toes, clean the toilet, cook food and scoop cat poop at the same time.  I think they should bring back that show we watched in the 80's called "That's Incredible" with Cathy Lee Crosby and Fran Tarkenton and put us moms on the show.  I mean seriously.  Then, there's the book, now a movie with Sarah Jessica Parker called, "I Don't See How She Does It".  I wish I overheard my husband saying that to someone, anyone, everyday.  Well, that's going to happen like me being in the movie so why not fix something for dinner that has them possibly thinking it?  It's a start and, my wine glass is raised to all of you moms doing (and wishing) the same thing.  Bottoms up!

 Ingredients

1 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound lean ground buffalo (lean ground beef can be used but I swear this is better!)
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
2 cups water
8 corn tortillas or taco shells
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup iceberg lettuce (I used arugula)
1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
Avocado, sour cream, hot sauce all optional


Directions


Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion, garlic and buffalo; cook 5 minutes or until meat is done, stirring to crumble.  Add tomato paste and next 4 ingredients (through pepper); stir well to combine.  Stir in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until thick.


Warm tortillas/taco shells according to package.  Fill with meat and assorted toppings and you're good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment