Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pasta Primavera - serves 4 with leftovers

 I know, I know... it's been awhile since my last post however I've been a cooking machine lately.  And, this is a rather unimpressive recipe but can be done in a flash and will up your family's vegetable intake in one sitting.  I've been really busy lately.... my business has really taken off.  So much that I've acquired a new sous chef, our dog Scout. 


As you can see, he's great (finally) at just sitting still.  He watches me cook everyday and knows his boundaries.  He's not allowed in the kitchen and has made a permanent spot for himself right outside the kitchen.  When something looks good (or smells good) he gives me the sign of approval by sitting up and wagging his tail.  Can't beat that kind of approval.  Scout has just returned from "charm school", as my husband calls it.  Gone for 8 months.  Yes, you heard it, 8 months.  My husband was hoping for a highly trained martial arts dog that could seek dove on a single bound.  What he got was a highly expensive house pet who still shies away from gunfire and hates the taste of dove in his mouth.  So, now I have a sous chef.  A sous chef who gallantly wags his tail at the sights and smells of good food and worth every penny.  And, he doesn't spit out my food which is a sign that I'm doing pretty well, even for a dog, and lucky for those dove.

Ingredients

1 pd fettuccine, cooked to package directions
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 cup sliced squash
1 tomato, diced
1 cup green beans, cut in half
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large sauce pan, bring minced garlic and olive oil to medium high.  Simmer for about 30 seconds.  Add broccoli, zucchini and squash.  Mix well and cover for about 3 minutes.  Add tomatoes and green beans and mix.  Cover for about 3 more minutes.  Add red pepper, salt and pepper and mix well.  Pour vegetables to large bowl and let sit.  Meanwhile, add milk to same pan and bring to a simmer.  Add Parmesan and mix well, until thickened.  Drain pasta and toss with olive oil.  Add sauce and pasta to vegetables and mix well.  Serve in pasta bowls and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment