Thursday, September 9, 2010

Field Pea Salad with Fresh Arugula and Pecorino - serves 4


Summer is good for really one thing, assuming you don't like the heat.  Summer is good for it's wonderful bounty of fresh vegetables, fruits and a plethora of peas and lettuces.  I have grown fond of the latter, particularly when it comes to growing my own.  My arugula has done phenomenally and has given me an abundance of meals to create.  The difference from my arugula to the arugula you get at the grocery store is quite extraordinary.  It's like eating a green apple with fresh ground pepper in every bite.  I've had friends who don't believe me until they pick a fresh leaf, straight from my designated arugula plat and taste.  It pretty much knocks their socks off in flavor.  And, they now tip-toe their way, secretly coveting my little green paradise to take for their own.

Arugula, at least mine, can grow thin or wide leaved.  The wider the leaf, the milder the taste.  Either way, it's a flavor like no other and can be used in just about anything to spike it up a notch.  Use it as a salad, in a pre-made salad, sandwiches, pesto or add to a pasta dish.  Or, if you're like me or my sneaky friends, a pick off the shrub is just fine.

Ingredients

1 pound fresh creamer peas (recipe to follow)
8 oz (or more) fresh arugula
2 cups sliced baby Roma (cherry) tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup champagne vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Fresh shaved Pecorino cheese
Fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste

Combine first 3 ingredients in large salad bowl.  Whisk olive oil and vinegar in small bowl.  Pour over salad and toss well.  Add Pecorino and season with salt and pepper.  Mix well and serve.

Cooking peas

Per pound of fresh peas, add 2 cups vegetable stock.  Add onion, garlic (minced) and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover for 45 minutes or until soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment