Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Salmon with the Most Amazing Rice Dish Ever - serves 4 with leftover rice


I love it when I come up with a recipe that comes together so beautifully that I could eat the meal over and over and over again.  I didn't care if no one else at the dinner table didn't like it (that was my husband due to fact that it was overpoweringly too healthy, I'm sure.  Although he ate it all and told me it was good, I can always tell when he's lying.  But you have to love the guy who does especially when someone cooks for them); it was wonderful and all I could think about was sharing it.  I came up with the idea after remembering a trip to Austin and visiting a great little spa/restaurant called, Casa de Luz.  I highly recommend to anyone who's into healthy eating.  My sister took me there and with her newly learned food wisdom, I have taken some of her concoctions, ideas and wise thoughts to practice when it comes to cooking healthier.  This makes a terrific side dish or as I used it, an accompaniment to salmon.  If you make it and no one else eats the leftovers, call me.  It's that good.

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa
1 cup organic brown rice
1 cup yellow lentils
2 garlic cloves
3 tbs chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 cup olive oil
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
4, 6oz salmon fillets, skin on (optional)
2 tbs Pataks's Curry Paste
Extra cilantro leaves for garnish

Preheat oven to 400.  Cook quinoa, rice and lentils according to package directions. ( If buying in bulk, cook 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water for 45 minutes, quinoa the same but for 20 minutes, and lentils for 35 minutes.)  Meanwhile, add garlic, cilantro, curry powder and olive oil into a mortar and pestle, grinding until almost a mash.
Once rice, quinoa and lentils are cooked, add together in large bowl and combine with cilantro mixture, tossing well.  (Add more olive oil if too dry.)  Cover to keep warm.

In a medium baking dish, add a little olive oil to cover bottom.  Add salmon and top with 1/2 tbs of curry paste to each fillet.
Bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Add rice to plate, top with salmon and cilantro for garnish.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment