Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pappradelle Pasta with Kale Pesto - serves 4

My kids are on a pesto kick.  Lately, we've put pesto on pannini's, added to hummus, and have contemplated tossing with popcorn.  I've used up all the basil I grew last summer and have resorted to other measures.  Here lies the kale substitute.  I'm always trying to sneak in something that will benefit health wise so why not kale?  I'm putting it in just about everything lately and this is no different.  If I could have added it as a substitute for the Velvetta cheese in my previous Chicken Spaghetti recipe, I would have, but something tells me my husband may have noticed.  At any rate, I have substituted kale for basil and pecans for pine nuts.  I tossed this with pappradelle pasta and guess what?  The husband and kids lapped it up.  It wasn't until after it was all gone that I let out my secret that my husband responded with, "is there anything I can eat without kale in it?"  I said, "yes, the one bite of chicken spaghetti."

Ingredients

2 cups kale
3/4 cup pecans
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
Kosher salt and pepper

Place all ingredients, up to cheese, in Cuisenart or blender and pulse until chopped.  Drizzle in olive oil and lemon juice until consistency is like fine gravel. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss with your favorite pasta and serve warm.  Leftovers can be kept in fridge for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment