Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts - serves 4



One of the great things about having your husband go out of town is getting to eat vegetables, of all kinds, without hearing them complain, moan, roll their eyes or look like they're about to vomit. There really isn't a vegetable out there that I won't eat, except collard greens, but we won't go into that.  However, I've grown to love, I mean love, brussels sprouts.  I know there are a LOT of people who do what my husband does when when you even mention the word brussels sprouts.  In fact, I used to when I was like, a kid, and that was a very, very, long time ago.  Now my palette is more refined and these little miniature cabbages can be prepared in a lot of ways and blow the brussels sprouts stereotype out of the water.  To me, throwing them on the grill or roasting them are best.  You can get them super fresh at the Farmers Market these days so grab them while you can.  And, if you're family goes through the motions of my husband, have a cocktail party, like I did, and serve them up to your girlfriends.  You can't go wrong and they'll be gone in a jiffy.


Ingredients

1 pound brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed and halved top to bottom
Really good olive oil for drizzling
1/2 tbs red pepper (or more if you like it spicier)
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
1 - 2 tbs grated Parmesan or Manchego cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 400.  Prepare brussels sprouts by adding to large bowl.  Drizzle olive oil and add red pepper, salt and pepper.  Toss to coat.  Add sprouts to a foil lined baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes or until leaves start to char.  Remove from oven and top with freshly grated Parmesan or Manchego cheese and serve.  (Can be put in bowl and brought to room temperature before serving... great for a cocktail appetizer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment