Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Berry Pancakes with Ricotta and Maple Syrup - serves 4






Pancakes aren't just for breakfast anymore.  At least that's what I decided after I came across this recipe in, ahem, Glamour magazine.  Yes, I admit, that I read this magazine and have since my mom gave it to me for Christmas in my late 20's.  I'm in my 40's now.  I know what you're thinking and just stop.  If I can't live vicariously through this magazine and wish to have a wardrobe that I could actually relate to, then what else do I have?  I have friends that dress this way and I read the magazine more than I see them.  One can wish and hope and since neither is going to happen to me in this decade I might as well relish in the daily moment of when I do get read it.  And besides, I actually came across something worth writing about; this recipe had me thinking that this indeed was something I could fix for dinner.  My kids were thrilled over the idea.  My husband, on the other hand, reacted as if I just told him I was serving liver and onions.  "You've never had breakfast for dinner before?", I inquired.  "No.", was all he said.  Am I the only one who has?  Surely not.  And despite his body language that suggested that he had already lost and knew he was getting it, I made these AMAZING pancakes for dinner.  And, to his chagrin, he was literally, no doubt about it, blown away.  He, and the kids, demolished 3/4th's of the entire stack  (I doubled the recipe) without uttering a word.  With syrup on the sides of his mouth, he pronounced these pancakes as the best ever, for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.  See, Glamour can be worth your while, even in your 40's.  At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Ingredients

1 lemon
1 pint fresh raspberries
1/2 cup plus 1 tbs sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbs baking powder
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cup milk
4 large eggs, separated
1 tbs olive oil
Maple syrup for serving

Directions

Working over a medium bowl, use a grater to zest the lemon.  Cut the lemon into wedges and set aside.  Add the raspberries to the bowl containing the lemon zest.  Stir in 1/3 sugar, gently crushing the raspberries with a wooden spoon.  Set aside.
In another medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, 1 tbs sugar and baking powder.  In another bowl, beat the ricotta cheese with milk and egg yolks.  Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and stir until just combined.  Let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
Beat the egg whites with a handheld mixer until they hold soft peaks.  Add the raspberries and gently fold, with their juices, into the batter.  Add the egg whites and fold gently.  Be careful not to overmix.
Heat a large, nonstick, skillet over moderately low heat.  Melt 1 tbs olive oil and coat the pan.  Spoon batter, about 1/4 cup, to the skillet and cook until pancakes begins to bubble and bottom is brown, about 2 minutes.  Flip and cook other side for about a minute more.
Serve pancakes with maple syrup and lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment