Monday, October 18, 2010

Pan Seared Shrimp with Gnocchi and Arugula Pesto - serves 4


Life has been nuts.  I'm not complaining however a few of my followers have been.  So, consider this an apology.  When I quit my corporate job to pursue my passion for cooking, I knew I'd be busy.  What I didn't expect was being busier.  Our family life is quite hectic now that school is in full throttle, my son is going through the 11 year old "phase" and my daughter wants to experiment every possible sport that's available. And then there's my husband.  He's a landscaping maniac and has grass coming out every part of his body.  I see him mainly before I go to bed at night and watch his tail lights disappear in the mornings as I return from my early morning runs.  So yes, we're busy.  I haven't even touched on my business to add to the mix, let alone the insane, bread stealing, poop machine, dog I have to keep at bay. Therefore, dinner has to be last minute and quick. 

You can use any kind of pesto... I chose this because I still have remnants of arugula growing and am trying to still get rid of it. You can get gnocchi, which are potato dumplings, at just about any grocery store.  Jimmy's in Dallas has them as well, only frozen.

All I can say is what my mom said to me not too long ago, "I hope they grow up to be exactly like you so you know what I went through."  No, not that.... "Enjoy them while they can before they grow up."  Take your time and enjoy your dinners, you'll thank yourself for the time.

Ingredients

1 pd shrimp, peel and deveined
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 jar of pre-made pesto of your choice
1 pkg of gnocchi
2 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

Prepare gnocchi according to package directions.  (Be sure and not to overcook as they are ready once they begin to float.)  In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil until shimmering.  Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.  Add shrimp, tossing to coat, and cook for about 3-4 minutes.  Add tomatoes and mix well.  Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Meanwhile, drain gnocchi.  Serve accordingly in pasta bowls and top with shrimp/tomatoes.  Add a dollop (or more) of pesto and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment