Thursday, August 19, 2010

Blueberry Waffles - serves 4, comfortably


In a previous blog, I admitted to a sweating issue while picking blueberries.  I'm still sweating, thanks to this heat but no doubt have enjoyed the mass quantities of blueberries I picked after enduring such ferocious heat.  The heat is still upon us Texans with a vengeance and I'm beginning to think that Mother Nature has it in for us.  That all aside, we've come up with some pretty interesting recipes using these glorious berries that have even included salsa.  Yes, salsa and another blog post to come.

While I have time to make my kids breakfast before the chaotic school year begins, I chose to make them waffles with blueberries.  The one thing you won't get with this recipe is that I topped our waffles with a delectable Acacia honey I brought home from Italy.  You can use good 'ole Texas honey for yours or if your like my husband, Log Cabin, because I think he wishes we lived in one.

I like to double this recipe and freeze, once cooled, for those busy school morning breakfasts and again, our fruits of the summer are always nice in the cold months.

I guess that is one of the things mother nature can't take away from us, thankfully.

Ingredients

(Preheat waffle griddle)

Whisk together in a large bowl:

1 3/4 wheat flour (or white or 1/2 and half)
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Whisk together in another bowl:

3 large eggs, beaten
6 tbs olive oil
1 1/2 cups milk

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.  Gently whisk them together with a few swift strokes.  (Batter should have a pebbled look, similar to a muffin batter).  Add:

1/2 cup (or more!) fresh blueberries

Spoon 1/2 cup batter onto waffle griddle and bake until golden brown.  Serve with additional blueberries and your favorite topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment