Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cranberries Sauce with Rules for Thanksgiving


I realize it's two days before Thanksgiving however, I wanted to post a recipe for those that may be waiting until the last minute to bring something to the Thanksgiving table.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year.  Not only does it allow the healthiest of persons splurge it brings a plethora of family stories and memories.  Mine, well, for those that know me, it's right out of Robert Earl Keen's "Merry Christmas to the Family".  Not kidding.  I not only prepare for other families during Thanksgiving, but I have now been handed the crown to prepare for my husband's side of the family, going on 3 years.  No longer using Ocean Spray's canned cranberry sauce (which, don't get me wrong, Thanksgiving isn't the same without and who doesn't like the imprint of a can?) I prepare this recipe, originally given to me by a former co-worker.  I think she found it from "she has too much time on her hands" Martha Stewart.  Nonetheless, it's really, really, good and the recipe I have is on the same post-it note I wrote it down on over 5 years ago.  A few Thanksgiving rules (by Sam Sifton, formally of the New York Times) that should be adhered to, unless you're going to be at my in-laws, which after 20 years I'm still bitter about because they do not follow.  At all.  Except for the butter and pie part.  And now that I'm cooking the dinner, it really gets under my skin.  1) Do NOT prepare appetizers before the big meal.  This is really upsetting particularly when I've been cooking all day and you stuff yourself with god knows what so that you can not get seconds.  If I wanted to serve pickled okra for Thanksgiving for you to fill up on, my week would have been less stressful.  2) Do NOT have a salad.  Thanksgiving is for turkey, gravy, dressing, maybe 1 or 2 vegetables and potatoes.  This is not a healthy meal.  3) There will be butter.  If you're my father-in-law, it will be one pat per club cracker. (excuse me while I grab the trash can)  4) You will eat pie.  I hate pie.  But, I will partake in one bite just so I can make the Thanksgiving day meal complete.  Don't bring cookies.  The Pilgrims didn't so neither should you. 5) There will be snoring.  Enough said, but it won't be by me.  I would have left by then.  All in all, it is comical yet celebratory occasion.  Being truly thankful is what it boils down to.  Thankful for family, friends and the blessing that God has so generously given us.  And that, my friends, is how the cookie crumbles.  Be blessed in all things, including your in-laws.

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups of cranberries
3/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
2 tbs red wine vinegar
zest and juice of 1 orange
2 tsp grated ginger
3/4 c light brown sugar

Directions

Combine in large saucepan over medium heat until cranberries begin to pop.  Reduce to low, stirring occasionally, for another 15 minutes.  If too thick, add water.  Chill.  Bring to room temperature until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment