Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pasta Cravings - serves 4 with leftovers



I just returned from the yearly trip to Galveston with the in-laws.  For those of you who have been watching the weather,  it flooded all but one day of our trip, leaving us trapped in the house with nothing to do but watch our beach tent fold under pressure, read, play hours of gin, not to mention things that can not be mentioned.  Did I tell you I was with the in-laws? I longed for home, especially a break from seafood which we did get plenty of.  Since the end of May, I've gradually started omitting gluten as well as cow dairy from my diet.  Not only do I feel better, but that little pooch that you ladies know what I'm talking about, has disappeared.  I won't turn down a great piece of cheese or good 'ole crusty bread, but the results are amazing and a splurge goes a long way.  However, after returning to the luxury of my home and kitchen, I made this dish using gluten free, rice pasta.  Let me tell you, this was as good, if not better, than regular pasta.  So good in fact, that my husband couldn't even tell the difference.  Top that off with fresh, home grown cherry tomatoes and Texas onions, and you have a wonderful dinner (or leftovers) right before you.  Soak up these gems before they are gone.  If only Galveston could have had the same rewards.

Ingredients ( I use all home-grown veggies or local produce)

1 pkg of brown rice pasta (I used the Jovial brand) or regular pasta, cooked to package instructions
2 tbs really good olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 pint of assorted cherry tomatoes, slice in half lengthwise
2 tbs chopped basil
1 tbs chopped oregano
Kosher salt  (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Add'l olive olive oil for drizzling
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil.  Add onions and garlic and saute until onions have started to brown, stirring occasionally.  Add tomatoes and mix with onions.  As tomatoes soften, about 5 minutes, use a wooden spoon and break up tomatoes, extracting their juices.  Simmer for about 10 minutes and add herbs, salt and pepper.  Mix well and top to cooked pasta.  Drizzle with olive oil and a little Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment