Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Udon Noodle Soup with Vegetables - serves 4




In case you haven't noticed, I love food.  One of my favorite things to do, other than cook, is to visit ethnic grocery stores, maybe meet some people that speak English and learn how to cook different types of foods.  A couple of weeks ago, we dined at Jeng Chi (jengchirestaurant.com), located in Richardson, on Greenville Ave., between Spring Valley and Beltline.  People, let me tell you... if you love Chinese food without all the MSG and soy sauce, you have to eat here.  As my husband would say, "it's like being a cowboy in Indian country" when I tell you it is an Asian hotspot.  We often have to go with my Taiwanese girlfriend just so she can order for us.  That and the fact my kids love to mimic her and try to take on the language themselves.  There's nothing there that isn't good and it's as fresh as you can get as well as BYOB.  The strip center is lined with restaurants as well as an ice cream shop and grocery store.  Have you ever been to an Asian grocery store?  I was warned the first time I entered that I would encounter a stiff fist of fish slamming into my face.  After about 10 paces into the store, it hit.  I might as well been slapped by the tail of a red fish it was so strong.  This store is a foodie's dream.  Fresh vegetables, handmade noodles and fish swimming in tanks for customers to pick out, have butchered and take home.  Now there are rather odd things in the store as well, not something I would like to take home and put on the dinner table, but if you're someone who likes chicken hearts, feet and sea cucumbers, this place is for you.  My kids have grown to love this place as it's taught them to embrace the different cultures within our city.  I highly recommend a trip here, if not Jeng Chi to test out your inner Confucius.

Ingredients

1 pound ground pork or turkey
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs sesame oil, plus more for drizzling
8oz shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1 small head of bok choy, washed and sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (get the authentic, thick kind)
1 pound fresh, Udon noodles

Directions

In a large sauce pot, heat sesame oil until shimmering.  Add garlic, stirring for 30 seconds, then add meat and brown until cooked through, crumbling as you cook.  Remove meat from pan and set aside.  Add a drizzle of oil and add vegetables, stirring to coat.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.  Add vegetable broth and teriyaki sauce, stirring to incorporate.  Bring to a simmer then add Udon noodles, cooking according to package directions. Add meat to soup, stirring to mix.  Ladle into bowls and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment