Monday, January 16, 2012

Chili Rubbed Mahi Mahi with Brown Rice and Beans - serves 4



My husband says he's a hunter.  Well, I've been waiting for him to get invited to go deer hunting (he's been asked a couple of times but due to work, he's unable to go.  Which this is an official "shout-out" to all my friends to please continue to ask their husbands to call Tim.  If it gets him out of the house for 1 - however many days, I'm just a happier person.) so that I can restock my freezer.  This weekend, I decided to go through both my freezer and pantry, challenging myself to use everything before I went to the store.  If I can clean out the freezer, then I will have more room for venison.  At least that's my hope.  I realized one thing...  I have only 2 pounds of venison left but ample amounts of rice and  dried beans.  Good grief. I could feed a third world country. I'm either losing my memory or I've become obsessive over both.  So, last night I fixed dinner using both, plus some Mahi Mahi I had recently frozen.  Everything turned out great except I had leftover beans.  To freeze or not to freeze?  Next recipe forthcoming.

Ingredients

4 6oz filets Mahi Mahi
1 tsp (each) Kosher salt, pepper, chili powder
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 bay leaf
1 jalapeno, slit cut down length of pepper
1/2 cup water
2 cups brown rice, cooked to package directions
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup queso fresco
Lime for garnish


Directions

Season Mahi Mahi with spice mix, coating both sides.  Heat a medium skillet for about 1 minute.  Place fish in pan and sear, about 3 minutes, then flip.  Sear for additional 2-3 minutes and remove from skillet.  Let sit for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place beans in medium saucepan.  Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, cumin and jalapeno.  Add 1/2 cup water and mix well over medium heat.  Simmer for about 15 minutes.

Spoon rice on plate and top with beans and fish.  Garnish with avocado, queso fresco and a squeeze of lime.

*I used dried beans, soaked/brined over night, then slow cooked using the ingredients above.

No comments:

Post a Comment