Monday, May 2, 2011

Any Day is a Good Day for Pound Cake - serves 6

I must confess, I hate baking.  I'd rather do 50 loads of laundry than bake any type of dessert/sweet.  I don't even eat sweets (does chocolate count?) yet being in the catering business I have to bake.  If asked, I typically cook up something easy, nothing I can ruin.  That's the thing about baking.  If you mess up, you have to start all over again whereas in cooking, you can always fix it.  Sure, I could buy "store-bought" but that is against all my principals.  (My friends are now rolling their eyes...)  I don't care how good Sara Lee's cake is, I just won't have it in my kitchen nor serve it to a client.  Unless you're my husband.  He'll eat anything.  He's the "Mikey" of our generation.  Only thing is, he loved this pound cake.  Homemade and made with Greek yogurt and olive oil opposed to sour cream and butter.  I tried to substitute the sugar for Agave nectar and honey but it came out flat.  So sugar it is and pure goodness even a baker and my husband would enjoy.

Ingredients

3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup olive oil
6 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Greek yogurt, plus more for garnish
3 cups all-purpose flour, sift before measuring
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Seasonal berries for garnish

Cream together sugar and olive oil, add the egg yolks one at time; beat well after each addition. Blend in vanilla and Greek yogurt. Into a separate bowl, sift sifted flour, salt, and soda. Add sifted dry ingredients to batter; beat well. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the cake batter. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake at 300° for about 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.  Cut equal slices, add additional yogurt and berries to garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment