Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Five Spice Asian Pork Shoulder - serves 4 with leftovers

I actually posted this recipe nearly a year ago, except I didn't know how to put pictures on my blog (don't roll the eyes).  I have a group of girls that I see twice a week for an early morning workout.  Aside from not being able to recognize each other when we're out and about, fully dressed to kill with biceps the size of cantaloupes, there are some who discuss what latest crock pot recipe they've either tried or want to try.  So, I post this recipe that has tested quite well with my family.  I use all organic ingredients where I can, as I do with most of my recipes, even though my husband could care less.  If you don't want the meat, skip the whole crock pot thing and marinate tofu in the sauce, then pan sear it and toss with the sauteed veggies. You can enjoy the dish either dressed to the hilt as your family ooo's and ahhh's over the meal, or, go without a stitch of makeup and in workout clothes.  They will think you worked hard to prepare such a wonderful meal, either way.

1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 to 2 tbs chili-garlic sauce
1 tbs grated fresh ginger
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder (at Whole Foods or Central Market)
Kosher salt and pepper
2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup long grain white or Basmati rice
1 medium head of bok choy, thinly sliced, about 8 cups
2 scallions, sliced

1. In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, sugar, chili-garlic sauce, ginger, five-spice powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cook, covered, until the pork is tender, on high for about 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.

2. Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook rice according to package directions.

3. Meanwhile, trim off and discard any fat from the pork. Gently fold the bok choy into the pork and cook, covered, until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment