Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pizza with Tuna and Red Onions - serves 4 or more


One my favorite foods in Italy is their pizza (notice how I said "one" as I could list many "ones").  The first time I went there, I consumed so much pizza,  I resembled the Pilsbury Dough Boy.  Now that I'm 40, I've learned to pace myself, somewhat, and enjoy the food (and wine) s-l-o-w-l-y.  Half the recipes I blog about is by taste alone, and this pizza blew my tastebuds of the charts.  What I learned is Italians don't use a lot, if any, tomato sauce on their pizzas.  I made this and my son asked where it was and of course I told him,  "still in the can".  There's something about Italian bread that you just can't get here.  They don't use much salt, again, if any, because back in the "day", salt was horrifically expensive and hard to come by.  You had to be wealthy to have it.  A lot of Italians still follow the custom of not using any at all.  However, with no salt, they season their doughs with wonderful olive oils and if any salt is used, they use sea salts, both fine and course.  Whatever the case, this particular pizza had me asking questions and anxiously wanting to try this at home.  This pizza surprised both my kids and husband who had me make another because they too, could not get enough.

2 pre-made pizza doughs, NOT the crappy kind!! (Whole Foods, Central Market or Jimmy's Food Store in Dallas)
Olive oil for drizzling
Fine Sea Salt or Kosher salt
Handful of flour or cornmeal
1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 pound fontina cheese, shredded
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
1 can of Italian tuna in olive oil

Preheat oven to 400.  Meanwhile, spread flour/cornmeal over flat working surface.  Roll out pizza dough to fit an 8 inch  pizza pan.  Using your fingers, press into the dough all over, creating divets.  Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Place in oven and cook for about 10 minutes. (If dough bubbles, poke knife thru and continue cooking.)

Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheeses, top with onions and tuna. (It's ok to add the olive oil from the tuna as you spoon onto pizza.)  Return to oven and cook an additional 8-10 minutes.  Remove from oven, slice and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment